RED DEAD REDEMPTION 2
October 26, 2018
After a robbery goes badly wrong in the western town of Blackwater, Arthur Morgan and the Van der Linde gang are forced to flee. With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, the gang must rob, steal and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive. As deepening internal divisions threaten to tear the gang apart, Arthur must make a choice between his own ideas and loyalty to the gang who raised him.
This prequel story got a new trailer today that dives deep into its narrative, which once again explores the end of the Wild West era. The Western is a decades-old media staple, but it still has a lot of unexplored potential for stories.
Red Dead Redemption II could once again tell us the story of how the United States exploited frontiersmen. These people risked their lives to go west and settle untamed lands in search of their fortunes. But when many people arrived, no gold mine or fertile lands was waiting for them, so they turned to gangs and violence to survive.
In Red Dead Redemption II Americans see the Frontiersman as exploited by a country that needed bodies in the west to settle new states. And most people can relate more to Jesse James than the captains of industry and cattle barons that benefited the most from the arrival of the state.
The very first trailer for Red Dead 2 was a gorgeous showcase of the open world that failed to provide us with a decent idea of how the game will play. Rockstar is probably just teasing us, with plenty more of the western adventure to be shown over the coming 12 months. Judging by the trailer, the acts of horseriding, bandit shooting and desert exploring are back and better than ever, albeit in a familiar form.
Red Dead Redemption II may offer up a total of seven playable heroes, and John Marston could well be one of them. The reveal artwork and debut trailer show seven men, who are clearly involved with the core narrative or online components. Either way, it’d be fantastic to have so many characters with their own unique traits and skills at our disposal. We’ll be sure to share more gameplay details here as they come to light.
A closer look at the map reveals Great Plains and multiple Caravan camps as potential locations we’ll be visiting
- Arthur Morgan – Arthur is the main protagonist and playable character of Red Dead Redemption II. He is a member of the Van der Linde gang, lead enforcer and Dutch’s right-hand man.
- Dutch van der Linde – Dutch is the leader of the Van der Linde gang, and Morgan’s boss.
- John Marston – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Abigail Marston – a prostitute of the Van der Linde gang.
- Bill Williamson – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Javier Escuella – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Uncle – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Hosea Matthews – a member of the Van der Linde gang and Dutch’s “best friend”.
- Micah Bell – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Sean McGuire – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Charles Smith – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Sadie Adler – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Pearson – a member and cook for the Van der Linde gang.
- Lenny – a member of the Van der Linde gang.
- Karen – a member of the Van der Linde gang.